Text Retrieval & Text Mining Journal Club
Thursdays, 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm
B11 MacLean Hall
Feb 23 and April 6: CS meeting room
(Here is a map showing the building location).
Previous Years Reading Groups
Some Interesting Conferences:
ACL/HLT 2016 (Association for Computational Linguistics/Human Language Technologies)
AMIA and JAMIA (Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association)
AIR Web/Web Quality 2011
ECIR 2017 (European Conference on Information Retrieval)
AIRS (Asian Information Retrieval Conference)
ICML (International Conference on Machine Learning)
AAAI ICWSM 2017.
ISMB/ECCB 2017 (Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology/European Conference on Computational Biology)
KDD (ACM SIG Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining)
Goal: To study current papers from journals and conference proceedings in text
retrieval and text mining. Examples of problems include topic models,
web retrieval and web mining, ranking strategies, ambiguity resolution, knowledge discovery,
web phenomenon including social networks, information extraction and text
The reading group is lead by Professor Padmini Srinivasan. Interested students (from beginning to advanced students) and faculty are invited to
participate in the reading group. Participation format is informal with individuals
taking turns to present an overview of the selected paper and lead the
This forum has resulted in collaborative projects and
February 2: (Momina Tabish)
- January 26: (Huyen Le)
February 9 (Shehroze Farooqi):
- Kirkendall et al., Automated identification of antibiotic overdoses and adverse drug events via analysis of prescribing alerts and medication administration records. JAMIA, 24(2), 295-302, 2017..
February 16: (Xiaoxuan Zhang)
- Consequences of Connectivity: Characterizing Account Hijacking on Twitter. CCS, 2014.
February 23: (Umar Iqbal)
- Spolaor and Tsumakas. Evaluating Feature Selection Methods for Multi-label Text Classification.
March 2: (Huyen Le)
March 9: (Bob Boynton)
- Garimella et al. Quantifying controversy in social media.. WSDM, 2016.
March 16: Spring Break
March 23: (Padmini Srinivasan)
- The real world has a new dimension -- Connectivity (draft paper).
March 30: (Momina Tabish)
- Martin et al., Exploring Limits to Prediction in Complex Systems, WWW 2016.
April 6: (Shehroze Farooqi)
- Caruana et al., Intelligible Models for HealthCare: Predicting PneumoniaRisk and Hospital 30-day Readmission, KDD 2015.
April 13: (Xiaoxuan Zhang)
- Thomas, Kurt, Damon McCoy, Chris Grier, Alek Kolcz, and Vern Paxson. "Trafficking Fraudulent Accounts: The Role of the Underground Market in Twitter Spam and Abuse." In Usenix security, vol. 13, pp. 195-210. 2013.
May 11: Final Exam Week
- Yang et al., Effective Multi-Label Active Learning for Text Classification. KDD 2009.