Text Retrieval & Text Mining Journal Club
Time: Mondays 2 to 4 pm
Place: B11 MacLean Hall
Goal: To study current papers from journals and conference proceedings in text retrieval and text mining. Examples of problems include topic models, web retrieval and web mining, ranking strategies, ambiguity resolution, knowledge discovery, web phenomenon including social networks, information extraction and text classification. The reading group is lead by Professor Padmini Srinivasan. Interested students (from beginning to advanced students) and faculty are invited to participate in the reading group. Participation format is informal with individuals taking turns to present an overview of the selected paper and lead the discussion. This forum has resulted in collaborative projects and published papers.
This semester we will combine this with students presenting on their research.
- September 8: Organizational meeing
- September 15: (we meet in B13) Chao Yang: Research Presentation: Life Satisfaction expressions on Twitter - Part 1.
- September 22: Chao Yang: Research Presentation: Life Satisfaction expressions on Twitter - Part 2.
- September 29 John Gikonyo
Choi, et al., Investigating motivations and expectiations of asking a question in social Q&A.first monday, 19(3), March 2014.
- October 6: Xiaoxuan Zhang
- October 13: Xiaoxuan Zhang
- Feldman R, Rosenfled B, et al, Self-supervised relation extraction from the web. Proceedings of the 16th international conference on Foundation of Intelligent Systems, 2006.
- October 20: Huyen Le
- Bakshy et al., Everyone's an Influencer: Quantifying Influence on Twitter. WSDM 2011.
- October 27: Chao Yang:
- Using Personal Traits For Brand Preference Prediction.
- November 3: Momina Tabish (cancelled)
- November 10: John Gikonyo
- Stetson, P.D., et al. Assessing Electronic Note Quality using the Physician Documentation Quality Instrument (PQDI-9). Applied Clinical Informatics, 3: 164-174, 2012.
- November 17: Xiaoxuan Zhang
- Ruiz & Srinivasan. Hierarchical Text Categorization using Neural Networks. Information Retrieval, 5, 87-118, 2002.
- November 24: (Thanksgiving)
- December 1: Chao Yang
- December 8: Bob Boynton
- December 15: Finals Week